MOVarazzi

Friday, August 10, 2012

827. Brothers' Day

Valentine’s Day was created by Cupid.   Halloween was originated by some witches, ghosts, and a wayward skeleton.  Christmas honors Jesus himself.  So who am I to come up with a holiday?    

Last year, my older son Tall approached me and complained, “Mom, why is there a Mother’s Day and a Father’s Day, but no Kids’ Day?”
It was one of those age-old things that kids have said since the beginning of time and Hallmark, like “Are we there yet?” and “Do I have to?” or “It’s not fair!”  It was a code phrase that is hard-wired into their little psyches in utero, if not before then.      

Of course, my first instinct was to respond the way my mom always did (“Because every day is Kids’ Day”), but upon further reflection (and truth be told, a nice glass of Chardonnay), I thought, Why not?  Why not make a day that is just for them? 
I did not worry that the Holiday Police would find me.  Had they stopped the fun of St. Patrick’s Day or Groundhog Day?  I think not.  With the Holiday Police, the more holidays, the better.  Earth Day, Cinco de Mayo (celebrated by Americans who cannot pronounce it), Mardi Gras, Boss’s Day?  Bring it!

When I submitted my new holiday proposal to the Center for Holiday Advancement and Enlightenment (who do you think pays the Holiday Police), I knew that I had to come up with a catchy title.  After all, I did not want them to laugh at me or turn me down.  That’s when I knew what our holiday should be:  Brothers’ Day. 
Next up was the pesky task of choosing the day.  September 21 was out, because that is my birthday and there was no way I was going to share it (although I do share it with Larry Hagman and Bill Murray).  Seems like July 4 was already taken, as was December 25.  Then I eliminated the months my sons and The Husband were born.  Next, we got out a dartboard, a Ouija board, and a Magic 8 ball for some expert input.  Somehow, we landed at August. 

August would be great.  No need to pull the kids out of school to celebrate.  No need to wear coats.  We picked the first of the month so it would be easy to remember, and it is. 
Last year was our first official Brothers’ Day.  (I did notice it was not in the newspapers.)  The Husband took the day off from work, and we asked the boys how they wanted to spend their time, which is how we ended up doing putt-putt golf and bowling in the same day. 

We had a blast. 
This year, we decided to go to a local waterpark with slides, and then later an animated movie (“Ice Age”—a nice contrast after being out in the heat all day).  We snacked on popcorn and candy, and stayed for all the credits.

As we walked out of the theater, Short turned to me and said, “Mommy, this is the best holiday ever.  Who came up with it?” 

MOV

18 comments:

  1. I think it is obvious that short people can't buy cards, so Hallmark disallows Kids Day.

    I like the idea of Brothers Day. I'm sure the government will intervene in the spirit of fairness and make you include Sisters, thus making it Siblings Day, but then what about those without Siblings, should we assume they will take the "street" name "brotha" and enjoy the day with whomever they choose? What if you aren't from the street, nay even the country? I think its just like you bloody Yanks to create a holiday just for you. Maybe other countries wanted to know Martin Luther King Jr.

    Loved the post, hopefully the bond between your boys will stay strong as they grow up together.

    WG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I never thought of that! It is absolutely because kids do not have money to buy cards, and if they did, they would spend it all on Legos and candy. thank you for enlightening me. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have chills-cheesy, but accurate. This is spectacular. I'm calling my sister's now. We'll have a belated holiday.

    Also wanted to let you know we're having a See Beautiful blog hop today if you're interested. We're seeing lots of beautiful (just to dangle the carrot a bit):

    http://seeabeautifulworld.blogspot.com/2012/08/pay-it-forward-freeze-for-kindness-and.html

    Happy seeing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. :) We make up holidays around here all the time. Usually one in March and one in August. So far we've done "Bug Day", "Princess Day", "Mommy I Love You Day", and we're gearing up for "Pirate Day" at the end of August.

    Kids don't need Hallmark - they make their own cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm for any holiday that's going to get me a day off of work. Now tell me about the foods, and more importantly the spirits, that one traditionally consumes to celebrate Brother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pizza, milkshakes, candy, pie. And that is just breakfast.........

      Delete
  5. I suppose I should add some more festive days to our calendar...the kids just don't get that jazzed for salsa or pickle making day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a great idea...making up holidays. I like the Brothers Day holiday but we have to move it to a different month as just about everyone in our family has birthdays in August. Very crowded month. I will have the two grandsons write a thank-you to you for the extra holiday where they undoubtedly get some extra treats as soon as they are old enough to write. Expect one for G-Boy #1 in about 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! My mom already pretty much spoils my kids, though; I almost feel like I should have Random Punishment Day to even things out. Since the kids will be grounded anyway, we could make it coincide with Oh Yeah, You're That Person I Married, I Almost Forgot About You Day, where we nurture the truly neglected relationship. That will be closely followed by Mommy Feels Selfish and Guilty Day, which actually would probably be a lot like Siblings Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had this conversation with my older kids why there was no kids day?/ And heck I have no idea why there wasn't nor has there been so I guess I just lost footing on the Mother of the year award...as I read about your great day I know I have been beaten by a landslide I take defeat because it came from you graciously...Bravo Mov Bravo well played Lady :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I don't have any brothers but I do have two sons!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There should be a Happy MOV Day. It should be on September 21. All schools and Federal Buildings should close on that day and free candy for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and this is why I have a huge crush on you.

      Delete
  11. Nice job! Though, you have to admit that December 25th is already Kids' Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother said the exact same thing but I think she really felt that since there were seven of us. But I like the idea of Brothers' Day. I only have one daughter so I'll have to work on something else but one thing I know, she loves surprises so maybe the holiday will be about that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is brilliant! When we were kids, my mom also made up holidays for us, but Brothers Day (despite only having sisters) sounds so much more fun than our annual "Cleanliness-is-next-to-Godliness-you're-too-old-to-still-be-playing-with-that-throw-it-away extravaganza!" Mom wasn't known for her catchy titles....

    Dr. Em

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)